Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Issue with the host name resolving

Hello again.

The issue which I want to describe now appeared in first when I installed the OS.

When the system starts, the messages like presented below appeared in the console:

Jul 7 16:01:40 <host_name> sendmail[366]: My unqualified host name (<host_name>) unknown; sleeping for retry
Jul 7 16:02:40 <host_name>sendmail[366]: unable to qualify my own domain name (<host_name>) -- using short name
Jul 7 16:02:42 <host_name>sm-mta[421]: My unqualified host name (<host_name>) unknown; sleeping for retry
Jul 7 16:03:42 <host_name>sm-mta[421]: unable to qualify my own domain name (<host_name>) -- using short name
Jul 7 16:03:42 <host_name>sm-msp-queue[425]: My unqualified host name (<host_name>) unknown; sleeping for retry
Jul 7 16:04:43 <host_name>sm-msp-queue[425]: unable to qualify my own domain name (firma123) -- using short name

I never met this before, therefore I googled it and found the solutions:
  1. If you do not plan to use sendmail, you can disable it.
    Add sendmail_enabled="NONE" to your /etc/rc.conf file.
  2. The other way to specify any domain within /etc/hosts. My configuration is:
    192.168.2.11 ltr
    192.168.2.11 ltr.my.com
    
As a result, there is no delay on the system start anymore.

Have a nice day!

P.S. Thanks these guys for the answer.

4 comments:

  1. Here I go again ^^

    The issue I want to describe THIS TIME appeared first when I installed the OS.

    When the system starts, the messages SIMILAR TO THOSE I presented below appear On the console[...]

    I HAVE never met ANYTHING LIKE this before, therefore I googled it and found the solutions:

    If you do not plan to use sendmail, you can disable it [...]

    As result, there is no delay on the system start anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. after changing /etc/hosts you need to do the following for sendmail to take note:

    cd /etc/mail && make install restart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also if your system only has a fictitious (local only) domain name, putting your system hostname on the same line in /etc/hosts works, for example

      127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain freebsdbox

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the solution.
      And please forgive that I did not answered for a long time :(

      Delete