Wednesday, July 3, 2013

X-system installation

When ports updated, I want to install X-system.

I will use Xorg+KDE3. Well, it is simple:

Install Xorg is too easy:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg
# make install clean

But its configuration is not. Here are some points:
  1. The recommendation is to add the following parameters to /etc/rc.conf to autodetect keyboards and mice:

    hald_enable="YES"
    dbus_enable="YES"

    But both keyboard and touchpad work fine for me without it.
  2. Run:

    # Xorg -configure

    If you do, basic X11 configuration file /root/xorg.conf.new will be created. You can tune and test this file before move it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  3. Also, I've added the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

    Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
    ....
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/"
    ....
    Section "Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
       SubSection "Display"
            Viewport 0 0
            Depth 24
            Modes "1280x800"
       EndSubSection
  4. I like to use KDE, therefore I have installed it via ports. If you want KDE to be started automatically when the system starts (and I wanted it), you have to have the line below in your /etc/ttys file:

    ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

Well, that's all I did. KDE starts well and works fine ^_^ As it usually does.
In my further posts, I'll tell you what software do I use.

2 comments:

  1. It's me again =)


    But its configuration is not (that easy??).
    [...]
    The following parameters are recommended to be added to (it would be better to say "the recommendation is to add the following parameters to")
    [...]
    If you want KDE *starts* (to be started) automatically when the system start(S) (and I wanted it), you *have to* (should or got to) have the line below in your /etc/ttys file
    [...]
    As it *usual do* (usually does or as it does usually).

    ReplyDelete