Saturday, September 29, 2012

FreeBSD 9.0 Installation

Start data:
Notebook: Asus x51rl
hdd: 120 Gb
RAM: 1 Gb
Network: wi-fi
OS version: 9.0

Installation:
I choose this version because it is the latest stable version of FreeBSD. Additionally, I have already worked with previous versions and want to compare them.

In this version installation became easier then before. I just was asked about disk partitions, what I want to install (ports, src, docs) and the installation started. I'm not sure about is this good change or bad. Actually, I preferred to do the "minimal" installation in previous versions and add exactly what I need later. Well, lets see what we'll get. Possibly, I didn't read installation guide carefully.

After installation the installer asked me about services which i  want auto-start  And now I have only 4 services. Not sure it is good for everyone, but I never used a lot of them, so it is OK for me. Additionally, as I specified above, wi-fi is the only net interface for my NB now, so I was ready to configure wi-fi manually. But installer proposed me to configure my network interfaces and managed it well. Therefore I have Internet on my NB and this is great because I plan to install everything other from ports.

Additionally, the installer proposed me to create a new user and i did it. I need to switch to root from this account, so I defined group wheel for it; my command shell is tcsh.

Now the installation complete and I can configure system now.

3 comments:

  1. I am here again ^^

    Start data:
    Notebook: Asus x51rl
    hdd: 120 Gb
    RAM: 1 Gb
    Network: wi-fi
    OS version: 9.0

    Installation:
    I CHOSE this version because it WAS the latest stable version of FreeBSD (*did you mean that this one works smoothly?). Additionally, I have already worked with previous versions and want to compare them.

    THE installation OF THIS VERSION IS easier thAn IT WAS before. I was JUST asked about THE disk SEPARATION, what DO I want to install (ports, src, docs) and AFTER THAT the installation started. I'm not sure IF IT IS A good change or bad ONE. Actually, I preferred to do the "minimal" installation in previous versions and TO add exactly what I needED later. Well, lets see what we'll get. Possibly, I didn't read installation guide carefully THEN (OR NOW?).

    After installation the installer asked me about services which I want TO auto-start. Now I have only 4 services. Not sure IF it WOULD DO for everyone, but I never used a lot of them, so it is OK for me. Additionally, as I specified above, wi-fi is the only net interface for my NB now, so I was ready to configure wi-fi manually. But THE installer OFFERED me to configure my network interfaces and managed it well. Therefore I have Internet on my NB and this is great because I plan to install everything ELSE from THE ports.

    IN ADDITION, the installer OFFERED me to create a new user and I did it. I needED to switch to THE root from thAT account, so I defined THE group wheel for it; my command shell is tcsh.

    Now the installation complete and I can configure THE system.

    ReplyDelete