Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Automated installation from ports

Building software from ports takes quite a lot of time, especially when using bulky programs like ImageMagick or Apache. For example, if you install ImageMagick you will notice that this program has a lot of dependencies. Dependencies are programs which need to be installed before ImageMagick can be installed; ImageMagick can't work without them. The hardest thing about installing ImageMagick is that you need to be in the vicinity of the computer to confirm the installation of each dependent program. Installation will be delayed until you click "OK" to confirm the installation of every dependent program (by this action you confirm options of the current program). (source)
I could not say it better.

The article is useful, but, as for me, the best was the Dola Marco's comment, which suggested to run:
# make config-recursive
# make -DBATCH install clean
I have tried it and it worked. I ran those commands against Xorg and it was successfully installed while I slept. Cool!

I suppose, starting from today, it will be the only installation method at all for me.

Best regards.

P.S. There is some additional information about ports configuration. It is in Russian.

2 comments:

  1. Hello again.

    [Dependencies are programs which need to be installed before ImageMagick can be installed;]
    *which need to be installed*
    =>>> Dependencies are programs that must be installed before ImageMagick can be installed

    [I ran these commands against Xorg and it was successfully installed while I slept.]
    *I ran these commands* - “these” are for the present time, in case of the past time – use “those”
    *I ran these commands against Xorg* - do not know what is the subject of your saying here so I am not sure…but “against” seems incorrect here though
    *I ran these commands against Xorg and *it was* successfully installed* - I guess you were talking about Xorg – in this case it would be correct but (once more) “against” word would be wrong. And if you were talking about “these commands” – then the “it was” part would be wrong because you need plural form

    [it will be my *the only installation method* at all]
    It is not English I think.
    =>>> it will be the only installation method of all for me

    ReplyDelete