Sunday, March 30, 2014

Upgrade to a new version

Hello.

I didn't use my notebook for a long time, but this time I decided to start again.
I have upgraded my old Asus x51rl and decided to reinstall the OS from scratch.

First of all, I checked if a new FreeBSD version was available and it was (v10). Of course, I could download the new version .iso image, but:
  1. I had not disk to burn the image;
  2. I didn't want to do it.
Fortunately, there was the instruction on how to upgrade FreeBSD to the new version from the previous one. So, I decided to reinstall FreeBSD 9.0 from the disk I had and upgrade the installed OS.

But it was not as easy as it was written in the article.
The first step was completed successfully:
# freebsd-update fetch
# freebsd-update install
After restart uname -a showed me 9.0-RELEASE-p3. Well, I tested the tool and it looked like it worked as it supposed to work.

But the next step:
freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.0-RELEASE
returned me the message:
Cowardly refusing to proceed any further. 
 and exited.

So I decided to run this upgrade in 2 steps:
  1. freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.2-RELEASE
  2. freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.0-RELEASE
And that did the trick. I successfully upgraded my system to the last 9.2 release. And after that I upgraded it to the release 10.0.

But! There is still the last step: upgrading programs.
It recommends to run:
# portmaster -af
but the issue was that I did not have the program installed yet (I had a clean installation). When I tried to install the program from the ports, I got an error:
Improper use of USE_PERL5 in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
or something like that. A short googling advised me to update the port's tree.
What I did:
# cd /usr/ports
# make update
Doing that, I was said, that 'make update' uses portsnap and I have to run:
# portsnap fetch extract
The command started, but failed because of the lack of inodes in /var (I have 2Gb there). A short investigation showed me, that it was because of
/var/db/freebsd-update
which had a lot of little files. So, I cleaned downloaded files, the portsnap file:
/var/db/portsnap/4Fuy78jn&...JHjj78.tgz
 and re-run it in 2 steps:
  1. # portsnap fetch
  2. # portsnap extract
And that time it completed fully successfully.

Good.

So, the last step was to install portmaster and to run:
# portmaster -af
It was completed successfully and I had FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE with the ports upgraded.

Well done.
Let's start to use it.

2 comments:

  1. hello, it's me again. Long time )))
    once more about the checks
    [I didn't use my notebook for a long time, but *now* I decided to start *again*.]
    it is better to use "this time" instead of "now". Still, I would say "but I decided to start over again" using no "now" or anything else.

    [First of all, I've checked if a new FreeBSD version *is* available and it *was* (v10).]
    use one time form.
    better - First of all, I've checked if a new FreeBSD version is available and it is (v10) - if you mean decision as the result
    and
    First of all, I checked if a new FreeBSD version was available and it was (v10)

    [Fortunately, there was *an* instruction on how to upgrade FreeBSD to the new version from *a* previous one]
    both cases are for the definite article because you describe the type of the instruction in the 1st case and you make choice among two known things in the 2d.

    [But it was not *so* easy, as it was *wrote* in the article.]
    but it was not as easy as it was written in the article

    [The first step *completed* successfully]
    The first step was completed successfully
    or
    I completed the first step successfully

    [I have *tested* the tool and it *looks* like it works as it supposed to work.]
    in the previous case like that and in this one as like - that is most likely that you are talking about the actions that are already in past so it is better to use past tense form here not present.
    so - I tested the tool and it looked like it worked as it supposed to work

    [I successfully upgraded my system to the last 9.2 release, and after *reboot* - to the release 10.0.]
    this looks Russian.
    still it is checkable
    I successfully upgraded my system to the last 9.2 release, and after that I rebooted it to the 10.0 release

    [There *is still* the last step - upgrade *your* programs.]
    There was the last step: upgrading programs

    [but the issue was that I *have not* the program installed *yet* (I had a clean installation)]
    I did not have
    or
    I had not got
    yet - up to that moment

    [I was said, *that make update* uses portsnap and I have to run]
    I did not understand that
    have no idea what is wrong but sound wrong if talking about semantics and syntaxes

    [The command started, but failed *because* *a* lack of inodes]
    because of
    the

    [It was completed successfully and *now* I *have* FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE with the ports upgraded.]
    remove "now"
    had

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikomi, thank you for your help!
    Have a nice day ~_^

    ReplyDelete